Lincoln in the Bardo is something else. .....
Bean (Moderators; 16925)
Posted on: 04-13-2019 14:54.
Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36
Message views: 23 (Score: 0)
Especially the audio version. The book itself got lots of good press, and it's probably one of the most interesting and creative books I've ever listened to. I finished it one afternoon and started it again the next morning.
It took a little while to get acclimated and start to understand what was going on. I actually started and stopped listening once and didn't go back to it for about a year. A big portion of the book is a series of found historical documents and others that were written by Saunders talking about the setting. I went in without being aware of it at all, and it took a while to kind of get it. But once I did, there's a lot to explore there.
The performance really adds a lot. It's a full cast of 166 people and pretty much every one of them is perfect for their role, and nail the delivery. The way it's all pieced together is incredible. There are points where they cut each other off, speak for each other, etc. All perfectly done, and I can imagine, very difficult to edit together. Wired has an article with more information about how it was done - https://www.wired.com/2017/02/george-saunders-bardo-white-house-audiobook/ This is a partial listing of cast members:
* Nick Offerman as HANS VOLLMAN
* David Sedaris as ROGER BEVINS III
* Carrie Brownstein as ISABELLE PERKINS
* George Saunders as THE REVEREND EVERLY THOMAS
* Miranda July as MRS. ELIZABETH CRAWFORD
* Lena Dunham as ELISE TRAYNOR
* Ben Stiller as JACK MANDERS
* Julianne Moore as JANE ELLIS
* Susan Sarandon as MRS. ABIGAIL BLASS
* Bradley Whitford as LT. CECIL STONE
* Bill Hader as EDDIE BARON
* Megan Mullally as BETSY BARON
* Rainn Wilson as PERCIVAL “DASH” COLLIER
* Jeff Tweedy as CAPTAIN WILLIAM PRINCE
* Kat Dennings as MISS TAMARA DOOLITTLE
* Jeffrey Tambor as PROFESSOR EDMUND BLOOMER
* Mike O’Brien as LAWRENCE T. DECROIX
* Keegan-Michael Key as ELSON FARWELL
* Don Cheadle as THOMAS HAVENS
* Patrick Wilson as STANLEY “PERFESSER” LIPPERT
* Kirby Heyborne as WILLIE LINCOLN
* Mary Karr as MRS. ROSE MILLAND
* Cassandra Campbell as Your Narrator*
Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
You do not have the required security level to post to this thread.
Report a Bug!