I'm not sure how I feel on this.....
pudds (Canadian; 17409)
Posted on: 01-13-2020 13:19.
Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.117 Safari/537.36
Message views: 32 (Score: 0)
Reddit (and now you) seem pretty convinced this is light, but my first reaction was that it was (justifiably) pretty harsh.
It's hard to quantify exactly what kind of impact something like this would have, and it's not the first time something like this has been tried either.
Several other teams (Red Sox with the Apple watch, for one) have been busted doing similar things, albeit less successfully.
The draft picks thing is pretty huge, I think. Baseball draft picks are more random than in other sports I'd say (or at least more delayed), but the top 4 picks over 2 years is big.
Imagine what kind of player would have to be available for a team to trade those away, for example.
Here's one way you could look at it - Fangraphs assigns a value to draft picks based on historical production from those picks. If you figure the Astros end up picking around 25th (and then 50th) in each draft, that puts the values at $12M and $6M. That's roughly 2 WAR on the open market per season, or 4 packaged together.
Would you trade those 4 picks for say, Freddie Freeman or Anthony Rizzo? And would that be more or less valuable than what they got out of banging the garbage can?
No one can really say for sure, but my gut says that teams wouldn't give up those picks for either of those guys, even though they are very good, and my gut also says that either of those guys would help a team more overall than knowing when a change up was coming.
- Astros fined $5m, Hinch + Luhnow (GM) both suspended for a year, then fired - Paul, 01-13-2020 12:16 (Views: 58; Replies: 31)
- The Ringer named some teams also rumored to be sign stealing, check this list: - pudds, 01-15-2020 08:21 (Views: 45)
- Not if but when on Cora's firing as manager. (nt) - Catfish, 01-14-2020 10:06 (Views: 47)
- I wonder if any 2017 Astros will land in the hall before Bonds? #hmm [nt] - Paul, 01-14-2020 08:04 (Views: 39)
- Hmm... What does this do to the narrative about the Dodgers pitchers bring chokers? [nt] - JJJ, 01-13-2020 21:43 (Views: 25)
- Here's the official report, for anyone who wants to read - pudds, 01-13-2020 14:45 (Views: 33)
- As an Astros fan, makes me mad. - Citizen Z, 01-13-2020 13:47 (Views: 37)
- Here's a good line though: "Witnesses consistently describe this new scheme as player-driven ... with the exception of Cora." - pudds, 01-13-2020 13:42 (Views: 56)
- I'm not sure how I feel on this - pudds, 01-13-2020 13:19 (Views: 32)
- They should have to give their 2017 WS title to their opponents that year, and that was... - Paul, 01-13-2020 12:55 (Views: 29)
- Also their first and second round picks for this year’s draft AND 2021. Damn (still light) [nt] - Paul, 01-13-2020 12:31 (Views: 43)
You do not have the required security level to post to this thread.
Report a Bug!