Thoughtful. Thanks, I appreciate it. Don't disagree......
Paul (Moderators; 69615)
Posted on: 07-16-2020 12:14.
Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.116 Safari/537.36
Message views: 26 (Score: 0)
Also won't defend someone else's argument for sure, just how I took his meaning, which admittedly may be ignorant.
I'm less sure that ideas aren't handed down and expanded upon. As in... Hegel, Kant, Nietzsche provided philosophical underpinnings for fascism's rise in Germany. Obviously the fuse was the economic throttling, and providing moral justification is important.
But as a worldview, the public had been primed for a leader with these ideas because bits and pieces of the Nazis' more-comprehensive whole were in common German "thought" for decades. Anti-semitism, uber alles, etc.
For me these things look less like destruction of old ideas there... more like new iterations/expressions/implementations of older ideas. Same in the US today, a la anti-federalism, racism, etc. Trumpism stands on the shoulders of Lindbergh, Goldwater, et al.
The idea that one group of people is superior to another and ought to be enshrined as national socioeconomic policy didn't start with the Germans, but it was cribbed from elsewhere (including the CSA, eugenics broadly in the late 19th/early 20th century, etc).
I didn't see Jared's thread as exclusive of any of that, may've oversimplified his thesis somewhat. Looking forward to his book anyhow.
Edited by Paul at 16.07.2020 12:17:52
“Don’t overplay. Don’t overplay. Less is more. It will always be: less is more. Nobody is ever going to remember all those fancy solos - even the guys that play them, most of them won’t remember - so play some licks that people can walk away humming, that people can identify with." --Steve Cropper
- Need a thread for these Lincoln Project ads, two in the last 24h - Paul, 07-01-2020 08:47 (Views: 55; Replies: 45)
- Nature documentary... - JJJ, 07-31-2020 14:21 (Views: 7)
- "That's the way it is." - JJJ, 07-23-2020 13:37 (Views: 17)
- Trump builds his wall... - JJJ, 07-19-2020 11:33 (Views: 15)
- Find Something New.™ - JJJ, 07-17-2020 14:58 (Views: 20)
- RVAT with a good one targeting Christian voters... - JJJ, 07-15-2020 02:59 (Views: 24)
- Vote Vets, more fire. - Paul, 07-13-2020 08:35 (Views: 15)
- No fan of Reagan but at least he can string together words higher than 3rd grade level... - JJJ, 07-11-2020 21:24 (Views: 26)
- Pithy... - JJJ, 07-11-2020 20:13 (Views: 18)
- Do they do good in poking Trump? Yes, but we need to remember that these guys are very much Dick Cheney Republicans. [nt] - Robert_Wyatt, 07-11-2020 12:05 (Views: 19)
- Vote Vets in with a late surge - Paul, 07-10-2020 13:33 (Views: 26)
- Thanks for keeping them on track here i am watching. :) [nt] - darth maynard, 07-09-2020 10:41 (Views: 13)
- A new one. And one from Meidas Touch, who have also been great. - Paul, 07-08-2020 18:25 (Views: 27)
- An article on Politico explaining why these ads might actually work... - JJJ, 07-07-2020 23:28 (Views: 27)
- Going full on here. - Paul, 07-07-2020 14:58 (Views: 26)
- Brutal. - JJJ, 07-01-2020 23:15 (Views: 33)
- They're really cranking them out now. [nt] - JJJ, 07-01-2020 09:10 (Views: 16)
You do not have the required security level to post to this thread.
Report a Bug!